Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Eat Mor Chikin


We do not usually enjoy food that stares back at us in America, but I have had to overcome this squeamish tendency to meet my daily caloric requirements here in Africa. Aside the rice, rice, and more rice that I have consumed, there are also the options of goat, pork, occasionally chicken, and fish aplenty. While I am no longer surprised when my teeth crunch down on an unexpected rib cage, it all has made me a bit nostalgic for American food, notably a restaurant chain that is dear to my heart—Chick-fil-A.

My own attachment to this restaurant began in the year 2000, and I have been faithful to her since my first day of work at the tender age of fifteen. The flexible hours, joyful abundance of waffle fries, and remarkably friendly co-workers all contributed to an excellent first job experience. I started at $5.25 an hour. Now I feel old.

For me, Chik-fil-A, has become a certain metaphor for home. There was no franchise near the seminary in Miami, and I am certainly now as far from the chain as I possibly could be. Now, whenever I taste those delicious, brown waters of sweet tea, or see that strangely huggable cow waving at me, I feel home. This journey of priestly formation has led me to many unfamiliar places and experiences that require me to struggle and grow. I’ve had to let go of people I love, places that I’m comfortable, and food that my body craves.

I have a coupon for one of their free chicken biscuits that I use as a bookmark. Some days it taunts me, laughing at me as if I will never be able to redeem it, as I try to convince my stomach that just maybe the white rice will have a different consistency today. More often, though, this coupon lifts my spirits. I remember the kind “mint lady” who would always coax me into having “just one more” mint. I remember all the heart-to-heart conversations I’ve had with good friends and mentors in those blue booths. I remember home.

And I will get that biscuit.

-Bob
written 06/13/11

2 comments:

  1. HAHA! This post is SO great. When you get back we will go to Chick-Fil-A :) I think Stu would be proud that you ate that fish in your picture that is staring at you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! All your posts have had me considering what in my life is drowning the greater realities of life. Perhaps a trip to Africa might do me some good, too. -Lynx

    ReplyDelete