Thursday, June 16, 2011

Tubmanburg, Bomi County

It has now been about four days since I have reached my permanent place of residence in Liberia. I am now out of the capital and into Tubmanburg, Bomi County. It is a lot smaller and less developed compared to Monrovia. Given my situation, however, I believe that I have very nice living conditions. I am at a mission here called the Bomi Deanery.

On the property there is a small church, a school (K-12th grade), a clinic, a pastoral center, and several housing buildings. There are three priests assigned to the mission: Fr. Garry, Fr. Henry, and Fr. George. Fr. Garry is of English descent but has been in Liberia for 38 years. He came before the wars, was actually captured and taken to Guinea, but returned and has been here ever since. Fr. Henry and Fr. George are both Liberian born and raised, and they travel around to local towns and outposts most of the time. Then there are two Indian brothers who run the school. Three other missionaries are assigned to the deanery as well, and they are on a two year program (1 ½ years in already!). And these three women are right from our own backyard, America. And one IS actually from my own backyard, the Diocese of St. Petersburg! It is a small world after all. Rachel (from Florida) teaches at the school on property, Jackie works at a local hospital in town, and Sister Raphael just causes trouble…just kidding, she does a lot of work at the pastoral center and is a breath of fresh air.

On top of all of us, there is a group of young men who live in the deanery and go to school here. These men average from grades 9-12th, and are from various parts of the area and various tribes. Those who are able go home for the summer, but those who are not stay here. Some are not able to go home because their families live in the forested area, and the rainy season makes the roads too flooded for them to return. As many of you know I’m sure, working with high school age guys isn’t the easiest task, let alone in an entirely different continent, but this is a great group of men. Even with what little time I’ve been here, I’ve been able to see that they’re filled with great joy. I hope that over the course of my stay here we will all benefit and learn a lot from each other.

I am starting to get used to living in Africa. I do have running water as long as the tank stays full, otherwise I just make due. And of course, using bottled water to brush my teeth (I use a little bottle I got on the airplane still, if only I had some other little plastic bottles…oh well). And the biggest thing, which probably doesn’t even have to be mentioned, is the heat. Especially sleeping in it. But we all sweat here, we all smell, so there’s really no problem. We’re all in the same boat as I see it. And I think we’re all getting used to each other’s accents as well.

I’m still in the process of exploring the town, but it seems rather safe and peaceful to me. One of the guys took me on a tour last weekend, and I just ventured up nearby Mount Bomi earlier today. That was a three hour roundtrip trek, but well worth the heat and incline. We got a beautiful view of Tubmanburg, and apparently we’re in a valley…

I am getting busier as I get settled in with assignments from Father (and a few others I’m putting together on the side with the collaboration and conspiring of Sister) and getting to know the men better. There are also plenty of adventures already planned for the days ahead. So please keep praying for me and I’ll pray for you, and may we meet each day in our prayers!

-Dan
written 06/15/11

1 comment: