Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Phenomenology of Mermaids


Today I sat in on one of Fr. Francis’ classes. He assists at the University of Makeni, teaching various classes on fields he studied through himself. Today he taught a Phenomenology of Religion course. I still have trouble pronouncing that word… “fa-nom-a-nology”…it’s basically the study of the phenomena we encounter and the experiences that we go through, open to the interpretations of many contributors, in hopes of circling ever-closer to what is true.

Father opened the class by asking, “Did man make history? Or did history make man?” The class erupted in discussion, as if the answer were obvious, but then not quite so. I shook my head in disbelief. I thought I left behind all of these questions about ‘being’ and philosophy back in the seminary, but they followed me to Africa. To any of my seminarian-brothers reading this, know that I had to bite my lip from laughing out loud when Father asked whether or not we can say that a mermaid “exists.” That answer is complicated.

I was shocked to see about 80 students in attendance for a class that the majority of American collegiates would veer away from. Only ten of the students were women. No one wore pajamas or gym clothing, as I grew accustomed to in Gainesville—different culture over here, although they still have major ‘futbol’ games. Sierra Leone’s current adult literacy rate is only at 31%, with only 18% of women over 18 able to read English. Only 15% of girls move on from primary to secondary school, the majority falling out to marriage (usually arranged or forced). While there still is a deeply ingrained social discrimination against women, the tide seems to be turning, at least slowly. I’ve heard more than a few impassioned speeches about the role of women in politics and seen numerous billboards chastising the physical abuse of women. Of course, the fact that these billboards have to even exist in the first place says something deeper.

It is my hope that Sierra Leone is able to move towards a more pro-woman culture without falling into the assumption that, to attain equality, gender must be made irrelevant (WARNING: Catholic social teaching is about to ensue). The well-meaning sexual revolutions of women in the past have unfortunately convinced many women that to be equal to men, they must become just like men. To succeed, women must often sterilize or destroy that which makes their femininity distinct and essential, catering to the business-model of a man’s world and outsourcing authentic respect for arguably the most charitable act known to humanity—motherhood. I’ve unfortunately seen advertising here in support for raining condoms from the sky and heard these dangerously twistable words in a speech: “pregnancy is the enemy of education.” Once we begin equating pregnancy to a disease or agree that the female body is better off sterile, where do we go? The cherishing of women in their personal wholeness would be an authentic sexual revolution, for Sierra Leone and for the whole world.

I see that this blog took a totally different turn from my ‘Mermaid’ title. You see what happens when you open the door just a bit for any kind of Theology of the Body discussion with me? Ye be warned.

-Bob
written 06/01/11

2 comments:

  1. Christina GauthreauxJune 2, 2011 at 1:23 PM

    You just made my whole day with this post!Beautiful reflection, really reminded me why exactly I'm taking the MCAT again... so I can go into women's health. You're going to do incredible things Bob! Praying for you. - Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob, back to your topic of "mermaids"...I live in Pennsylvania where we recently experienced an earthquake along most of the east coast of the US - for the first time in our lifetimes. The only damage in my house was to my Lladro "mermaid" statue which fell off a dresser and broke. I googled and learned that a "mermaid" symbolizes an "illusion." I have been curious as to what this "illusion" was referencing. I came upon my answer on October 24, 2011. I visited a chapel for the first time and found a Eucharistic Adoration. As I was leaving, I found a beautiful letter written "from Jesus to all Apostles" and in the middle of the night, I again wondered what the "illusion" was referring to and I was asked to read the letter I picked up earlier. I found the comment "the strength of the enemy is an illusion." The enemy is satan and his works (including destroying the beauty of motherhood) are an illusion and it will all be fading soon. Enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete