Monday, June 13, 2011

ONE SHADE OF GREEN!!!

When I first started driving, the interstate freaked me out. I avoided it whenever I could. I got over that quickly, especially when I went off to Orlando where I proceeded to drive I-4 all the time. Mastering Orlando traffic I moved on to Miami. Surly, I thought, it couldn’t get any worse than this. I was wrong…

Think of Liberia as Miami, just without traffic lights, without stop signs, without speed limits, and without the police to scare people into following the law. It is truly a free-for-all, and I have already received my fair share of it.

The drive to the Episcopal ordination was three hours, and the drive from the ordination to my new residence ended up taking six hours. Going to the ordination wasn’t as bad, it was all paved roads but there were many spots that were covered in potholes. So we constantly had to slow down in order to strategically drive around them and avoiding the oncoming traffic.

On the way back was a similar story, but it got much worse. Luckily enough I found myself in a car with four priests, so I figured I was safe, the Lord would be watching over us for sure. It was all going pretty smoothly until we passed through this one little town. There ended up being a traffic jam that cost us about forty-five extra minutes. There was one point in particular where there were at least fifty cars, facing every direction imaginable, trying to squeeze by each other. All the while there were motorcycles (or motorbikes as they call them here) cutting in and out whenever they could.

We made it out of the frying pan just to find ourselves heading into the fire…or water to be more exact. For the last two hours of our drive we were in true African rainfall. All we had were our headlights, our windshield-wipers, and our wits about us! There were points where I couldn’t see anything, but Fr. Henry seemed to know the way. The lightning lit up the sky, blinding at times, only to reveal the grass and trees around us. All we needed was a cow to fly by or possible a T-rex to step out in front of our car in order to make it perfect.

Even throughout this initial adventure into driving in Liberia, however, I failed to see one single accident. The people seem to know what they are doing, even if I don’t. And it is amazing to see everyone navigate around the country with no (or minimal) road signs. It’s like animals migrating, it seems almost innate.

So I continue to find myself in places or situations where I have to stop and remind myself, “I really am in Africa.” I feel so blessed to have this experience, but it’s not without its challenges. So I want to thank you all again for your continued prayers, they are definitely keeping me going.
Drive safe everyone!

-Dan
written 6/13/11

2 comments:

  1. Christina GauthreauxJune 13, 2011 at 7:21 PM

    Dan- I'm glad to hear that you are safe and have finally made it to your final destination. Know that you have many many prayers headed your way.
    Bob- haven't heard from you in a couple days, I hope all is well!
    This blog has been really powerful in showing us exactly what we pray for when we pray for the poor and less fortunate. It has been very sad but beautiful to hear your stories, so that we can be awakened to the reality of how our fellow human beings are living, and can offer up prayers and fasting with more zeal. I ask that once you can communicate a little that you share with them how much we are moved by their witness and that there is a girl over in the United States praying for them and she can't wait to see them have the best seat in the house at the resurrection!
    - Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so freaky! It'd be easy for me to get frustrated and forget the reason I'm there. I'd have to tell myself over and over again to be patient. Sounds like your time there is going to be filled with many interesting and eye-opening events. Stay safe and God bless, Dan!

    ReplyDelete