Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Off to Africa...(2)


Now, I suppose, it is my turn to embark on this adventure. It has been over a year since I was first approached about possibly spending this summer in Africa working with Catholic Relief Services (CRS). It has been a long journey just making it to this point, and it still seems hard to believe that in only a few hours I will be at the airport starting my leg of this mission.

It has been a blessing walking this far with my brother (Bob) and Chris. They have already been in Africa for about two weeks and one week respectively. Hearing about their journeys, their struggles, and their joys thus far has been a great help in preparing myself for what is ahead. At the same time, however, I know that my own experience will be far different from theirs. And while I admit, I have always wanted to go to Africa, it is much different to just talk about it than to actually do it. It is only with an immense trust in the Lord that this is even possible. So with this trust, I will be heading to Liberia to work at a parish and do pretty much whatever I am asked. Like Bob, I will be shadowing a priest, working with the youth, and building relationships with the people I will encounter. On top that your guess is as good as mine.

Service has always been a passion of mine, and I was Service Chair during my time at UCF for two years. There I helped to coordinate many events and trips, including a mission trip to Mexico, the first trip that the ministry took out of the country (followed by many more now!). I am always grateful for the experiences I am blessed with and the opportunity to reach out to those in need. And while I pray that I will be able to touch the lives of those I meet in Africa, I feel that I will learn just as much, if not more, from the people I will soon encounter.

At Mass this morning, Jesus said in the gospel that, “In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world” (John 16:33). I know that this trip will come with trouble and turmoil amidst the joy, but through the Holy Spirit we are gifted with the courage to overcome these trials. As we approach Pentecost, I pray (and hope you will all pray with me) that I may remember this throughout my journey and that I may rely on the Spirit to strengthen me and guide me. I believe that there is a reason the Lord works in the way that He does, though we may not understand it, and in a time that is ultimately beyond our knowledge. I know that whatever emotional, spiritual, or even physical stress I may be put through during this time, in the end the fruits will far outweigh the troubles.

On a lighter note, a friend told me that he received a comment that went something like this: “Well, it is obvious that Bob was the English major and Dan was the science major, cause Bob is totally out-writing Dan on the blog.” To which my friend responded: “Dan hasn’t even left yet!” So yes, now I begin my life as a blogger, but I have commented to several people already that the idea of blogging scares me more than actually going to Africa does. Maybe that says something about me, but I promise I will do my best to give you all an honest and prayerful account of my journey (and please don’t mind the grammatical/spelling errors…especially you Bob!).

I know there are many of you praying for us, so please know how much we appreciate this and how important it is. It will be your prayers that will lift us up and get us through this time. This time away from you, our family and friends, and this time that the Lord has given us to spread His love to the people we will meet.

May God bless you all, and in the famous words of Shakira…THIS TIME FOR AFRICA!

-Dan
written 06/06/11

2 comments:

  1. Missed you at Mass today! I hope the flight(s) went well and you had the angels (haha) watching over you! Take care and don't come back too tan! I'll be commenting on EVERY post! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waka Waka ... We All Are Africa!

    ReplyDelete