Monday, June 20, 2011

Not Made for Comfort

There’s a quote by Pope Benedict XVI that has come to mind recently that I feel applies perfectly to the situation I now find myself in. I’m not sure if I have it down exact, but it goes something like this: “The world offers you comfort, but you were not made for comfort, you were made for greatness.”

I feel that this saying rings true in so many ways. I was lying in bed feeling rather homesick recently and wishing for the comforts of home. Not only for the comfort of air conditioning (though that’s a big one), but especially for the comfort of family and friends. Even more than these physical comforts that I find myself longing for, however, it is mental and spiritual comforts as well.

A big struggle I seem to have is confidence in what I know or the gifts that I have to share, and this has been revealed from my time at seminary as well. Rather than take the lead to teach and preach, more often than not I’d rather sit back and let someone else do it. I feel more comfortable observing than putting myself out there. I guess this comes from my more introverted side.

Well, whether I like it or not, I will be forced to abandon this comfort and put my trust in the Lord once again. My assignment is becoming clearer as time goes on, and it looks like it will be a busy summer here. I will be visiting the leper colony that I went to every Thursday to observe and assist. Also, starting this week I will be going out with the catechists several nights a week to their different outposts to perform primary evangelization. So basically we’re teaching the faith to those who have never heard of Christianity before. And they want me to prepare something to contribute as well (this week on the Trinity) so that the catechists will have a little bit of a break…oh yeah, and it’ll be in another language, Gola.

Also, once Fr. Garry got wind of the fact that I studied Biology before entering the seminary, he asked me to teach/tutor a Biology class for the young men within the deanery that I am staying in. And it wasn’t asking so much as telling me that I will be teaching a class for them. And on top of that I opened my own mouth and said that I wanted to lead a Bible study for the men as well. So I will be preaching and teaching after all. With limited resources (a biology textbook that I got from the school and one Biblical commentary from Father), my own knowledge, and overwhelming trust in the Lord, maybe I can pull this off, and learn a thing or two about myself in the process...

So I beg you all for your prayers at this time while I begin forming the minds and the hearts of the people of Africa (maybe not even so much for me but for them!). The Lord sure has a sense of humor, taking the weak to lead the strong. But I have faith. And I’m continuing to let go of the comforts of the world in order to reach the greatness that I was meant for, that we all were meant for.

-Dan
written 06/19/11

1 comment:

  1. Dan, I'm sure you'll do a great job! As a fellow introvert, I know how difficult these tasks may seem. I pray that you'll be able to go with whatever is thrown at you, like a certain fellow surfer who catches every little wave that comes her way...

    ReplyDelete