Thursday, June 9, 2011

Monrovia

I made it here to Monrovia safe with only a few delays, but this journey has already been full of excitement and emotion. As soon as I made it past the trams at the airport in Tampa, I grasped at the mission crucifix in my pocket and thought that this is it, I’m on my own leaving for Africa now.

The flight to Atlanta went smooth and I boarded my flight to Monrovia (with a stop in Accra). I thought that the flight couldn’t be too full, cause how many people are going to fly to Liberia, really? It’s not the most renowned tourist destination. To my surprise, however, it was full, and mostly with youth. I was shocked. There were different groups from organizations all over the States going to serve and be with the people. All of those groups, however, were getting off at Accra to serve in Ghana. I apparently was the only missionary whose destination was Liberia. We had some time to get to know each other, however. Especially with the two hour wait we had sitting on the plane while they were fixing the front door! But I made some friends in the mean time, the girl sitting next to me in particular who had never flown before…but we all had a fun flight.

When I got off the plane in Monrovia and picked up my luggage, I stepped out and found the CRS agent waiting (for a long time because of our delay). We drove for about an hour and a half from the airport to the CRS headquarters. It was a rather eye-opening drive. I definitely wasn’t in Florida anymore…

I spent the night down the street from their headquarters in a Liberian style bed & breakfast. Here I will be staying through the weekend until I head over to Bomi where I will be for the rest of my stay. It was a tough night, knowing I was in Africa now, alone with no cell phone or other means of communicating with all that I knew back home. At that moment I knew that it was only the Lord that would get through this journey. I foresaw that this experience would really stretch me and allow me (if not force me) to rely on the Lord in a way that I never have. When I woke up for breakfast this morning I met two women who were visiting from the States. We talked and exchanged some stories, and I found out that they will be there through the weekend. It is a comforting thought that at least I will have some friends that I can have breakfast with each morning.

At one end of the street that I am on is the CRS office, at the other end is a little beach. So, of course, before I walked to the office this morning I decided to stroll on over to the beach first. On the way I passed by a group of boys playing football (soccer to us) in the street. As I passed through a broken fence towards the water I saw a little house to my right with a few children playing out front.
I kept walking and stopped by the water, thanking the Lord for this opportunity. I looked down, and with a little shock I saw the youngest child standing next to me. I laughed as another child came running up as well. I pulled out my camera and asked if I could take their picture, and as I did the other two ran up. I met their mother and said I would be back soon I was sure. It was one of those moments that made me realize why I had come.

Now I am back at the office and have a little time to use the internet (and enjoy some air conditioning while I can). I have been told that the conditions in Bomi are more rural, so I will appreciate the time that I have in Monrovia. I’m not exactly sure what’s ahead of me, but I’m excited to find out!

-Dan
written 06/09/11

1 comment:

  1. Glad you made it over there ok. We will be praying for you. Those kids are SO cute!

    ReplyDelete