Friday, June 3, 2011

Krio, not Creole

Sometimes called ‘broken’ English, the common language of the region here in Sierra Leone is called Krio. It started as a trading language for thousands of freed slaves, evolving from contact with English-speaking traders and sailors. While English remains the ‘official’ language of the country (and for all the major Mass parts), Krio has acquired a permanent place in the culture of the people here, a true mixture of African and British idioms and phrases. Locals often switch back and forth indiscriminately, so I’ve learned to not be surprised if I suddenly have no idea what is going on.

To an untrained American-ear, such as my own, it comes across like gibberish. You hear random English words, but the context is off, you enter a rollercoaster of syllables, and then there is a deep, African grin expecting some kind of response. It sounds a bit like Creole, an island-ish soup of words. Likewise, I have found that I have to slow down my own way of speaking, because my ‘accent’ is hard for the locals to process at times.

Trash is “rubbish.” A line is a “queue.” “Can I take a picture with you” is said here as, “can I snap you?” To ask if someone needs to pee, you say “you need to sweat?” To compliment another man’s strength, you say, “I like your fitness.” To say “go slower” or “a little,” you instead say “small small.” To say “call me,” you say “flash me.” After you shake someone’s hand, a common gesture is to then take your right hand and touch your heart, as a sign of meaningful respect. If someone offers you their wrist, you shake the wrist because it means their hand is dirty. The TV channels are all European-based; they use the metric system for temperature, distance and weight; and the date is written as day/month/year, which keeps screwing me up.

I’ve been a bit conservative with taking photos of the people here; snapping without permission will likely get me in trouble. I’ve been cautioned that it can come off as either (1) I plan to make money off them or (2) I just want to sit around and pity their poverty later with my rich friends. I can see their point. Since, however, I have been sent here as a missionary with hopes of perhaps making a difference, if not now then later through rallying support back home, photographic evidence needs to supplied. More photos will be up on Facebook when I return, along with some kind of media CD for future presentations.

I am waiting to write about poverty. I feel like the topic could swallow up every future blog I post, as the daily reality is overwhelming. Sierra Leone sadly sits at the bottom of the UN’s human development index. Likewise, I feel that the Lord has more work to do in stripping me towards a better personal understanding of poverty and its calls/challenges for Christians of every global market.

Thank you again for all the thoughts and prayers; you all are lifting me through this African adventure.

-Bob
written 06/02/11....I mean, 02/06/11.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Posts...other than experiencing the heat, you're bringing these people, these experiences into our home. We no longer can ignore the struggles of the world. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on how us mere mortals can make a difference. Take care...all our love and prayers...carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many struggle all over the world, but no one should be struggling for the basics of life. Things such as clean running water, health care, food, and more. I believe that the people of SIerra Leone, are a strong people. I can only suggest that you be straight with the people and explain what you are doing and them to participate. PRAY FIRST! I pray that GOD THE FATHER WILL GRANT YOU THE PROTECTION THAT IS NEEDED I PRAY THAT GOD WILL GIVE YOU CONTINOUS FAVOR IN JESUS NAME I PRAY THAT THE WISDOM OF GOD WILL BE UPON YOU AND THAT THE FIRE OF GOD WILL DIRECT YOUR PATH AND GIVE YOU DA WORDS TO SPEAK NOT TAKING ANYTHING FOR GRANTED. I PRAY THAT THE HOLY GHOST POWER AND THE WIND OF GOD THE FATHER WILL BLOCK ALL DEMONIC SPIRITS THAT WILL TRY TO ATTACH THEMSELVES TO YOU AND YOUR POSITIVE PLANS IN JESUS MIGHTY NAME, AS LONG AS YOU PUT GOD FIRST GOD THE FATHER WILL KEEP YOU I THANK THE FATHER FOR HIS BLESSINGS, HIS FAITHFULNESS , HIS POWER, AND I SEAL THIS PRAY WITH DA BLOOD OF JESUS THE CHRIST AMEN

    ReplyDelete