Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Frodo and Quasimodo

Today it will be two weeks since I left home. Today also marks my brother’s departure for his own African adventure. While our countries are adjacent, we are separated by an extremely poor road infrastructure, so we will likely not see each other for some time. Despite this common website we are sharing and our geographic proximity on any globe you may examine (we’re only mere centimeters away!)-—we are on two separate journeys now. Frodo and Sam have officially separated.


Despite my own schedule picking up a bit, I am still finding myself wrestling with some very long stretches of nothingness. The animals all go into hibernation in the heat of the day and so do most of the people. The locals like to rest and "take time." I am daily faced with a five-hour stretch in the afternoon with no personal transportation, electricity, or communication with anyone who speaks in my ‘accent’ or doesn't point me out as the token ‘white man.’ It’s too hot to fall asleep and my compulsive need to “do something” overrides any chance I would have to be content simply with staring into the depths of the paint on the wall.

Boredom and lonelines create an interesting cocktail. When all our comforts and electronic distractions are taken away, I think our personalities will reflect how we keep our sanity. My routine consists of pacing, prayer, pacing, malaria medication, pacing, and reading anything I can get my hands on. There’s an old copy of The Hunchback of Notre Dame here; I am two-thirds through the book already and have the majority of Disney songs flooding back to my mind with no DVD player in sight.

Today in prayer, however, I read some provoking passages from Cardinal Van Thuan: “eternity only touches the present moment and only gives itself to someone who is totally in that moment…This is the only time we have in our hands [and] living the present moment is the most simple and most secure way to holiness.” Sure I can be bored, but what do I do with that boredom? Have I been thankful that I have been given time to accomplish so much spiritual and leisure reading? Am I attempting to “kill time” or am I open to what Christ may be saying in each moment of my day?

I thank you for your prayers; know that I do feel and receive them, and they are keeping me afloat. You all are in mine. Safe travels to my brother, and may we one day reunite to bring the One Ring to Mordor.

-Bob
written 06/07/11

1 comment: