Monday, June 20, 2011

Banana Sandwich Crazy

Life in Africa isn’t all struggle and strife. I am starting to get to know the young men better, thus I am able to mess with them and joke around more. They have a TV, which I have gathered is used mainly to watch soccer when the season is going on, but I saw them watching music videos the other day…the best of 2005. It brought me back. This sparked a discussion on music because I didn’t know how much they knew of the music that is all too accessible to use back home. And this eventually led me to introduce some of them to some music that I love (including, but not limited to, Sara Bareilles). They liked it, but one of them said that this kind of music makes him sleepy. Oh well, it’s a start.

I am also proud to say that I have attended my first soccer game in Africa. Many of the men here are part of The Knights of St. John (similar to our Knights of Columbus back home), and there was a tournament between the cadets from a number of different parishes. The final game was on Saturday, and I must say that it was the most intense soccer game that I have ever seen. Apart from the fact that they were playing on wet sand, which seemed impressive enough, these men are skilled. They were performing moves that I’ve only seen in highlights. And to top it off, the men from the deanery won 4-0 to bring home yet another trophy to add to their collection. Actually, I take that back. To top it off, during the game guess which song rang throughout the park? That’s right, Shakira’s Waka Waka (This Time for Africa), the song I alluded to in my first blog entry. Because let’s face it, what would a soccer game in Africa be without the official 2010 FIFA World Cup theme song? And of course, they scored a goal while the song was playing.

On a completely different note, it seems that Sunday night is game night for the three missionaries here: Rachel, Jackie, and Sister Raphael. So the past two Sundays I’ve had the pleasure of going over to their house (about a 30 second walk) to play some fierce games of Bananagrams. And let me tell you, these ladies play to win. I’ve only won one game myself so far. But it is a lot of fun and a nice taste of home for me. They also provide me with some much needed sustenance (but don’t worry mom, I don’t just mooch all the time, I made dinner for everyone last night).

So luckily I am starting to get into the groove of life here. It isn’t without its spouts of homesickness, but I am enjoying my time. This week will begin to pick up and get busier, but I always have Sunday nights and Bananagrams to look forward to now.

We have to remember the worlds of St. Thomas Aquinas: "...relaxation of the mind from work consists in playful words or deeds. Therefore it becomes a wise and virtuous man to have recourse to such things at times."

-Dan
written 06/20/11

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dan,
    Bananagrams is a favorite game in my family, too. Your blog shows how similar people are everywhere - games, sports, relaxation time... we all need those.
    Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep hearing about this game. I need to find it and try it out. Dan, is it as fun as Pass the Pigs ;)?! Good luck as you start your assignments.

    ReplyDelete